About Me

My photo
Adelaide , South Australia, Australia
I am 49 and heading for 50. This is about me, the highs and lows and a lot of stuff re weight loss, so follow me and see wha I am up to !!

The wonderful people that follow and support me !

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The demon sugar !

There has been a lot of posts on facebook recently regarding sugar and in particular a book called "Sweet poison" which I am yet to read but something I do find intriguing. You see when I go on a binge, it is not for savoury things but sugar. For example, last night I ate and ate and ate. 6 donuts, a serve of indian, a 3 seasame snaps and a big block of Turkish delight chocolate. My taste buds are now non existent. We seem to concentrate on fats but really we need to look at the sugars. The more sugar you have, the mores sugar you need. This is something I have become more and more aware of over the last few years. Of course all this eating sugar is not good for us, makes me gain weightt in the middle and overall not good, with the rise of diabetes and the risks of being overweight have as far as getting diabetes I realised last night what needs to be done. Sometimes we need to fall hard to realise what needs to be done. For me, weight loss is not just about the lovely clothes, being a size 12 or even having men chase after me (well that would be good) but it is about confidence and happiness and that mental edge. The more sugar and weight gain I have the more my insomia plays up. For example, the last few weeks with me not following any food plan at all my energy levels are low, at any point I could sleep for hours and this is all the effect of bad eating and sugar. Today I read a great blog http://msbitchcakes.blogspot.com. I always check out Bitchcake's blog, the fact she is so individual with her look and lives in New York she does at times have some pearls of wisdom. Her topic of activity was an eye opener to me. So overall, the position I am in at present is that fact that the food I am eating is making me ill, letheragic and depressed. The answer is simple my friends. Change your life. Somehow I feel that I am on the right path, the support of friends and a good meeting with a leader I know is great, although my leader I had Di is great, I am not in love with the meetings. Saying all this, you can have the greatest meeting, the fabulous friends and the best leader and still fail, you have to draw strength from yourself, get that mental discipline happening and overall realise that you need to be selfish in order to achieve your dreams. In one way, it is a relief to be able to say that from Tuesday my eating will improve, of course the withdrawal of sugar is hard but I am going to set little babystep goals and not weight related. First goal - Join on Tuesday and Second Goal is to have 4 losses in a row. Quite doeable.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Martine - If you get the chance I would highly recommend going back the the beginning of Sheryl (Bitch Cakes) blog and read all of her posts. They are just gold and so helpful and motivating. I have found so much inspiration in her blog and she just looks stunning! Look after yourself. Karen xo

Deb said...

I haven't read that book yet either, but I did enjoy listening to an inaterview with hime while I was working out. Put it on your ipod and go for it
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2010/06/29/2939956.htm